Thursday, April 17, 2008

Ode to 3-M Scotch 1000 film


I used to shoot this transparency film back in the day that was rated at 1000 and then push it a couple of stops...The film had grain the size of a golf ball, but was really beautiful as you could see each grain and the color within the grain itself. One wouldn't normally use this type of film for beauty shooting, but this was a test done with makeup artist, Patty Bell and model Jenny Cramer. Patty is a fantastic make up artist and a ton of fun to work with it! We always have such a great time getting crazy, doing stuff we generally never get a chance to do with our clients, and we aren't afraid to make a mistake here and there in the search for something unique...
In case you are wondering, we did shoot normal transparency film, as grain generally doesn't show off the makeup artist's work as good as a finer grain film. But, I still liked the grain version the best. The Scotch 1000 film became so scarce before it went out of production, I had to order it directly from the factory in Minneapolis. I had a ton of it in my fridge. This week has been sort of a "blast from the past", as I recently had a need to sort through thousands of returned stock images from my now defunct agency. There is a LOT of really great stuff, now I just need to figure out what to do with it all...

No comments: